Happy New Year to all the TAGE members!
In the year 2020, our Association and members had been through many ups and downs unexpectedly. The year was extraordinary; as a global outbreak of COVID-19 occurred including Thailand during the end of the year. Owing to the outbreak, our activities were adjusted accordingly. Despite all of the difficulties, there had been several successes as follows:
- the successful change of our Association’s name into the Association for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy of Thailand”;
- the smooth organization of the outstandingly successful 2nd Therapeutic Day during the end of the year which brought together more than 500 attendees;
- considerable support for our book on management of endoscopy laboratory from the TAGE members and non-members;
- our initial researches which had been successfully conducted and published in international journals;
- a growing and explicit national and international recognition of TAGE by doctors, nurses, and medical officers, as well as government agencies which led to negotiations between TAGE and public and private sectors over reasonable emolument rate and payment for endoscopy procedures; and
- the launch of standardized advanced endoscopy courses approved by TAGE and, in the future by the Medical Council of Thailand. There are 3 courses, namely (1) ERCP and EUS course, (2) Advanced Upper GI Endoscopy course, and (3) GI Endoscopy for Weight Management. The latter one is a great success, as TAGE can organize a training course in Thailand while the instructors live overseas and the training is done in a virtual environment.
Our international knowledge sharing activities decreased in number, but we substituted some of them with a large virtual attendance in international events of our Committee.
I, Assoc. Prof. Dr. Pradermchai Kongkam, the President of TAGE on behalf of TAGE, am deeply grateful to all of the Committee, both official and unofficial ones, for your effective cooperation on the abovementioned activities and events; and I am terribly sorry for not being able to mention all of your names here.
In this coming year, TAGE has planned to continuously foster the development of gastrointestinal endoscopy despite the COVID-19 pandemic.
Last but not least, I would like to wish you, TAGE’s Committee, members and your family, another year of happiness, prosperity, great health, and all the best success with the blessing of the Three Jewels and holy spirits around the world.
The Committee of the Thai Association for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy